My Call to You: Tanzania 2018


In 2013, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to South Africa, Mozambique, and Swaziland as part of a 30-day volunteer engagement. Since the day I arrived back in Canada I have dreamed of going back to Africa. Why you may ask? I fell in love with a continent that is big, bold, and beautiful. I fell in love with the land, the people, the cultures, and the diversity. Most importantly though, I discovered who I was and what I wanted to do in my life.

Fast-forward to present day 2017, and I am in the final year of completing a 4 year BA International Development Studies and a 3 year BA in Conflict Resolution Studies from the Menno Simons College - University of Winnipeg. The knowledge, skills, and relationships I have formed at Menno Simons College have been valuable to me - and now with graduation on the horizon I now take the next big step in my life.

In May 2018, I will have the opportunity to travel to Tanzania, Africa in a volunteer/internship position to work with a network of youth through EQWIP HUBs. EQWIP HUBs is a global network of youth innovation spaces spanning 17 developing urban centers in Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania that connect and transform the economic trajectory of youth. Powered by a strategic alliance between Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), EQWIP HUBs will provide a platform for youth – especially women – in developing countries to advance their lives and find meaningful employment through market-driven work skills and entrepreneurship incubators. 

Over the years, I have become passionate about what I study. I have enjoyed learning about different cultures and challenges underdeveloped countries are facing. I have recognized my position within Canadian society as a position of privilege. Knowing this, my goal in life is to use this for good - whether I am sharing my knowledge with others, gaining new knowledge from those I come in contact with, or simply providing support to youth around the world, my sole focus is to simply do what I believe is right. According to Trading Economics, the youth unemployment rate in Tanzania in 2014 was at 13.70 percent. Of the 55.57 million inhabitants of Tanzania, roughly 35% of the population is between the ages of 15-34 - this is the youth age defined by the Tanzania National Youth Policy. This number is to high, and shows why it is important to help build the capacity of Tanzanian youth.

For this trip, my goal is to fundraise $2750.00. EQWIP HUBs is an amazing organization that goes above and beyond to help with the costs of such a significant trip. However, I am still responsible for a specific sum. For that reason, I write this message to you all. I am asking for your support; I am asking for your kindness; and I am asking for your love. I do not expect hundreds of dollars from each person who decides to support me, but I do ask for what you are able and willing to give. Canada World Youth (CWY) uses fundraising from its volunteers and donors with care and respect. Additionally, all volunteer fundraising is directed towards EQWIP HUBs, and the management of the project.

With the help of EQWIP HUBs, I have a fundraising page where individuals can go on and donate. All donations $20 or more will receive a tax receipt. I am pasting the link to my page here: https://cwy-jcm.akaraisin.com/EQWiPHubs/jordanewart 

Lastly, I want to thank you in advance for your sheer generosity. A trip of this magnitude would not be possible without the support and love from my friends and family. I can promise you that I am dedicated to making a change in the world. Not a change that I believe is right, but a change that others believe is best for them. I will help in anyway and will never impose my own-self over another. We are all unique as human beings and are all capable of exploring our skills and passions. Consequently, conditions in many places in the world do not allow for people to explore what they are passionate about. Thus, my ultimate goal is to share my passion with others in hope's that they might have the opportunity to explore their's.

Again, thank you so much. This trip means the world to me. It is the next step in my life that will help me get to where I want to be. Lastly, I want to thank my wife Camille, for being so supportive of me leaving the country for three months to pursue my dreams. 

Sincerely,

Jordan Ewart




Comments

Popular Posts